Mergers & Acquisitions Risk Assessment
Conduct due diligence on cyber security for merger and acquisition targets
Examine and assess organizational exposure to cyber risk during mergers and acquisitions
Organizations pursue mergers and acquisitions (M&A) to develop strategic business advantages as a result of gaining or consolidating personnel, technology or intellectual property. As part of their due diligence, companies investigate the potential business impact and risks from the merger or acquisition in several areas, including financial, legal and intellectual property. But they don’t always fully explore the consequences of combining the cyber security practices and technologies of two different organizations.
The M&A Risk Assessment helps companies evaluate multiple security programs and address compatibility issues and potential security gaps. Mandiant experts analyze and measure the acquisition environment and risk levels across four critical security domains, so you can make informed decisions about how to smoothly secure the transitional and post-M&A environment.
Mandiant evaluates your organization’s cyber security programs across four core security domains:
- Data safeguards, to examine how the data protection framework helps identify and classify high-risk information assets
- Access control, to review how policies and procedures reduce the risk of inappropriate access to sensitive data
- Threat detection and response, to see how current deployments detect, analyze, escalate, respond to and contain advanced attacks
- Infrastructure security, to understand how endpoints are managed to reduce the risk of compromise
Cyber security during organizational growth
Combining the cyber risk of two different organizations dramatically increases the risk for both. In addition to different vulnerabilities and security gaps, each organization may have different security priorities that must be reconciled. When reviewing the security maturity and posture of organizations involved in M&A, Mandiant can provide deeper insights through supplemental services to clearly identify immediate risk. We offer two types of assessments:
- Limited Compromise Assessment: a light-touch, technical assessment of the network for signs of anomalous activity.
- Compromise Assessment: a detailed analysis of the acquisition environment for the presence of past or current attacker activity.
After an acquisition or merger, organizations continue to develop and refine their security program. Mandiant can provide customized, continuous monitoring to help evolve an organization’s cyber security posture. Recommended services include:
- Response Readiness Assessments
- Threat Intelligence-Based Risk Profiles
- Tabletop Exercises
- Security Program Assessments
- Managed Defense
What you get
- Two-page report
- Risk ratings and maturity scores for each company involved in the merger or acquisition
- High-level recommendations for longer-term improvement
Ready to get started?
Our security experts are standing by to help you with an incident or answer questions about our consulting and managed detection and response services.